4th of July Pie: Happy Birthday, America!

The 4th of July is a great time to celebrate freedom, independence and our nation's birthday. It's also a great time to bust out the fireworks (where legal), barbecues and patriotic baked goods!

As it turns out, I actually started out just planning a baked good to celebrate the July birthdays of two of my coworkers. When one requested cherry pie, I could not help adding one more birthday to the mix.


My, my, this American pie

Instead of the typical lattice top, I simply added three full dough stripes across the bottom of the pie and three half stripes across the top. I added white sugar to the stripes to make them extra white and tossed it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

(If you're looking for a good crust recipe, by the way, check out Pie Crust V on Allrecipes.com. It's my go-to crust recipe for most of the pies I make.)

The stars were baked separately on a cookie sheet (also topped with white sugar) for about six minutes. Once both the pie and stars were done, I placed the stars in the stripeless corner of the pie and surrounded them with fresh blueberries for the final patriotic touch. 

Happy birthday, America!

For more exciting pie ideas, tips and recipes, check out the LydMc blog post Pi r delicious!

Comments

Post a Comment

Trending Posts

Painting for Peanuts: A Harvest Festival Cut-Out Board

Return of the Ewoks: Star Wars Themed Sushi

The Triforce of Tastiness: #EatWhatYouWatch